In the 1880’s the teamsters drove 8-10 horses on their stagecoaches and needed bells to warn on-coming travelers. The stage drivers were the most popular men of their day – jolly and talkative. Miners lived along the river and would trade gold nuggets for grub or tobacco. Reno was the nearest or most west train stop therefore stage coaches hauled travelers from Reno which took 3 days to reach the Twenty Mile House.
In 1880 brothers William and Gerhard Langhorst purchased the Twenty Mile House from a man named Crawford. They expanded it into a General Merchandising Store. The original store had a handmade
counter, wood stove, cowhide bottom chairs and a small table for newspapers. A few years later Gerhard bought his brother’s interest and became sole owner of the Twenty Mile House.The building consisted of downstairs the store adjoined by a bedroom (that later became the post office) and the kitchen. There were 3 rooms upstairs where three bedrooms.In 1881 G.A. Langh0rst applied for a Post Office but needed a one-word name so chose Krumberg, his grandparents name in N.W. Germany. The spelling was Americanized spelling to Cromberg. Krum means crooked and Berg means hill. He was postmaster of Cromberg for 35 years until his death in 1919.In 1885 the cemetery was founded and Annie May Langhorst, oldest daughter of the Langhorst’s was first buried there at 3 years of age.
In 1887 a two story hotel section of 10 rooms was built by Bill Crowe of Quincy adjoining the store section. No one was ever turned away for lodging. Lower bedroom was the parlor. Meals were served all day in the hotel a favorite dish being roast bear. An upstairs bedroom was turned into a schoolroom for Minnie (Wilhelmina) and Kathryn Langhorst.