Green weddings are moving mainstream and are among the top five new wedding trends, according to Kate Harrison of the Green Bride Guide. In a webinar last night, Harrison shared some of the latest ways for making your wedding more eco-friendly:
1. Paperless Invitations: Brides and grooms are using paperlesspost.com to send fine stationery over the Internet.
2. Green favors are the rage, especially tree and seed favors, organic and artisanal/Fair Trade products (jams, candy, syrup) and carbon offsets.
3. Do-it-yourself aisle runners, including flower petals, chalkboards, or avoiding disposable materials.
4. Local Flavor – hiring food-trucks or serving local microbrews, pastries, etc.
5. Vintage or DIY cake toppers, instead of those throwaway kind.
6. Wedding dresses that are two-in-one (for ceremony and reception)
7. Vintage accessories and hats.
8. Flower arrangements that mix in fruits or vegetables, or non-flower alternatives.
9. Green venues – staging weddings at farms, museums, vineyards or historic buildings (i.e. Twenty Mile House) that cut down on the need to decorate and provide lush backdrops for photography.
10. Eco-friendly gift registry: To help steer your guests to buy green gifts!